We opted for a Celebration of Life to honor our mom.
The whole family - missing her like you wouldn't believe but together! It was so nice to see everyone - as most live so far away. Everyone that could make the effort to be there was, and it made it so special and much appreciated.
The kids playing on the rock outside The Elks Lodge.
My sister wrote and awesome speech.
She did such a great job I just had to share it:
I think people agree that one of the things that they will remember and miss about Mom is her laugh. I used to love to call her on the phone and tell her my adventures and slightly exaggerate them so that I could get her laughing. We could easily be on the phone for a couple hours and she would be laughing the entire time.
I loved her laughter but what I admired most about her was her class, her grace and her ability to turn the other cheek and take the high road. I try to follow her example although I am not nearly as successful as she was.
The verse I am about to read was reportedly written on the wall of Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta, India, and is widely attributed to her. I feel like this verse applies to Mom’s philosophy in life.
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
Thank you everyone for being here today to help celebrate Mom’s life. It makes my heart feel good to see all of the people whose lives she positively impacted. Thank you.
* * *
Then it was my turn and you guessed it, I lost my speech. So I winged it and told the story of how Green Grandma came about. Someday I'll find the notes I had and draft the speech like it should have been told.
Her siblings: Susan (from Virgina), Greg (from New Brunswick), Robert (from Alberta), Shelia (from Montana), Erin (from Alberta), Sarah (from Nova Scotia), and Steven (from New Brunswick). Missing was the oldest brother, Billy.
Her kiddos - Jay, me, Jimmy, Kerri and Mike. Jimmy and Mike live in New York so we don't see them very often. It was great to catch up a little.
Then a picture with just the cousins in attendence: Josh, Stephanie, Barbara, Jimmy, Paige, Michael, Mike, Jay; front: Karen, me, Kerri, and Sarah.
Gale and his kids: girls Desi & Dawna (from Oregon) and boys Jace & Troy (from Montana)
Aunt Rita and Kaitlyn
Pop Pop (Theron's Grandpa) and Aunt Sarah.
The kids - keeping occupied on the gaming machines
My 4th grade teacher :)
Mike & Grandpa enjoying each others company (and a beer)
Devin and Mommy
The only picture of Theron and I - nich huh?
Kaitlyn and Easton
The kids - trying to be good but you know...it's hard :)