Mommy took a 2 day quick trip to Sitka right after Labor Day...by herself!
My company has a project up there...the company jet was going anyway...2nd Grandma was still here to hold down the fort...and well, there was no reason not too really :)
Here was the chariot!
(This one's for you Uncle Bob) it's a Falcon 900
Stephan and Jeff our pilots...great guys and I see them in the office all the time. This time I went to their office.
The beautiful scenery coming into our landing.
Cruise ship in the harbor.
First thing first...we visited the jobsite. This is view from the scaffolding (affixed to the rock cliff). Yeah, Mommy didn't spend too much time out here.
Another picture of the work.
We're raising the dam 83 feet from what you see there. It'll be impressive when it gets done I have no doubt.
The beginning of the powerhouse a the bottom of the hill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So enough about work!
The other reason I went was to see Uncle Puckett.
He's lived in Sitka since 1980 and I hadn't been there since I was a little kid.
This is the view from his back deck.
It's beautiful but I'm entirely too leery of the power of water...no way could I sleep at night knowing the ocean was that close.
His commute to go swimming.
I took way too many pictures of this but seriously, I couldn't believe how close it was.
After I marveled at his property we went exploring to the west end of the island and check out the salmon...
I've never seen so many fish in my life but they were heading up to spawn...then die.
We were hoping to see some bears feeding on the dying fish but weren't that lucky.
We went to the marina and saw the Sea Track (his boat).
This thing is nice. I reminded me of our camper on the water. However, I got sea sick just looking at the thing so I decided that Sitka would not be a place I could live....because that's about all there is to do.
We toured around the island. It was so great to get to catch up and see this beautiful place. Loved every minute of it (including getting to sleep in)!